I posted this way back in December but the man in question is so darn fabulous he keeps adding to it… so revisions became necessary.
So here are the Top 11 Reasons You Should Be Following @HalSparks on Twitter:
(why 11? because it *goes* to 11)
11. He’s hilarious. As a touring comedian for decades, he headlines venues all across the country. His new Showtime special, which was taped in front of a standing room only crowd, is now available on Amazon and Netflix.
10. He’s got great stage presence. He created the iconic role of “Zoltan!” in “Dude, Where’s My Car”. He’s also had guest parts from “Frasier” to “CSI” to “Spider-Man 2” and most recently “Extract”.
In fact he’s such a great actor his portrayal of Queer As Folk’s Michael Novotny will haunt him until the day he dies (and beyond) because some people can’t seem to separate the actor from the character.
9. His head is filled with lots of knowledge, both trivial and important. He’s spent a lot of time in the last decade as a commentator on pop culture both on E!’s Talk Soup as well as the plethora of “I Love Thes” on VH1.
8. He is also an accomplished musician/singer/songwriter with his very own metal band, Zero 1.
7. He is charitable. He participated in the reality competition in 2006 “Celebrity Duets”, to compete for the chance to win $100K for Habitat for Humanity, to help rebuild after Hurricane Katrina.
This was not the first time Hal would invest his time and energy to raise money and awareness for charity. Hal has also participated in AIDS Walks from NYC to Los Angeles, and frequently donates his celebrity to raise awareness regarding animal cruelty and gay rights, among other political hot topics.
6. He is wise and a lot more intellectually evolved than many Twitterers.
5. He’s involved. Hal doesn’t shy away from hot topics. An outspoken progressive, he can be heard weekly on The Stephanie Miller Show on a segment affectionately dubbed “Hump Days with Hal”, and now he has his very own weekly radio show on Chicago’s Progressive Talk radio, which he Ustreams every Saturday between 9am and 11am PST for all his fans each week no matter where he’s at in the country.
He’s not just playing politics, Hal is extremely well read and brings a lot of intellectual debate to the table. He’s also unafraid to take people to task who deserve to be, in a sometimes biting, but typically hilarious, way.
4. Hal is also a black belt martial artist, straight edge (no drugs or alcohol – ever), can speak several languages (including Mandarin Chinese), and is also a writer/producer.
3. And if all THAT weren’t enough to make you follow him (funny, inspiring, intelligent, diverse) – the best reason to follow Hal Sparks is he’s an incredible person.
Where a lot of celebrities maintain their distance from their fans, Hal embraces his fans – whom he considers his true boss – in a very real, tangible way. If you go to see Hal perform stand-up comedy, he’ll stand for hours afterward in impromptu meet and greet sessions where he’ll pose for endless photos and sign autographs until his hand cramps.
Get this… for free. (Take *THAT* Mr. $200 M&G Glenn Beck)
The minute you meet Hal he’s totally there with you in the moment, treating you as if you’re the only person on the planet.
This is true whether you are a die-hard fan (and there are more than a few) or if you’re someone who takes issue with his unapologetic views on life.
If you follow Hal Sparks, you’re not going to get lost in the shuffle like some other celebrities who tend not to respond to you if you send a Tweet his way.
He gives 110% of himself not just to his art, but to the world around him. He’s not content in just reaching his own heights of success, but also in embracing us all and encouraging us to get there right along with him.
2. You should follow Hal Sparks is because in addition to all this he’s a hero. He literally jumped into action and helped save a man’s life at the LAX airport. This distinction earned him a place on Cosmopolitan Magazine’s Stud-o-Meter in November 2010.
In every way, he is the most inspiring person I’ve ever met. Of all the categories he may fit in – actor, comedian, musician – I am extremely blessed to be able to call him my friend…. which is the number one reason why you should follow him. I’m very selective about my friendship, and he’s won it for a lifetime. Plus he adores me, and that demonstrates he’s a man of exceedingly good taste.
What more could you possibly ever want?
If you want to learn more, check out the handy dandy official website:
And follow Hal. Because he’s f*cking magnificent.